Cords and Stones (Macrame)

Traveling is not just about visiting the new places and knowing new cultures but also to meet new people and learn new things from them. My journeys have exposed me to some interesting artists and their artworks. Another such artwork, which perhaps I would never become familiar with if not travelling, was Macrame. As far as I remember, my first conscious encounter with the term macrame was at New Lucky Cafe of Rishikesh where a Nepali guy, named Kapil, used to give macrame lessons. For some unknown reasons I had assumed that macrame was the name for some very sophisticated technique based fine paintings. Although I had developed a good friendship with Kapil, I never showed any interest to know about the art he was master of. But it was only because of that familiarity with the term Macrame that when I came in contact with an another Macrame artist, named Clemence, at Pushkar of Rajasthan, I inescapably developed an interest to know about the art which I had missed at Rishikesh.

During my month long summer stay at Pushkar, Clemence was the only another long term off season guest at the Shankar Palace/ Ramues cafe. Clemence, a young lady of french nationality, was living in a room on the other side of the small roofless central ground of Shankar Palace. While sometimes she used to work with the paper and pencil at entrance of her room, some other times she used to click the photos of some bracelets, necklaces with the leaves and barks of floras of the Shankar palace as background objects.

Clemos5
Clemence: The macrame artist

DSC04980 TP2
Things are created twice: First in mind …

DSC05140 Fb-002
Things are created twice: Second or physical creation

From the daily conversations during the late evening gatherings, which were joined not only by the guests and the owners of guest house but also by some new friends of Pushkar, at the central roofless ground of the Shankar Palace, I came to know more about Clemence. She was a traveler and macrame artist. Although she used to speak less, either because of habit or limited English vocabulary, she patiently elaborated about the Macrame and her journey with that art. Interestingly the word Macrame is most probably of Arabic or Turkish origin. Macrame is a textile art of linking the threads exclusively by the knotting techniques. It was the first time that I became familiar with the difference between otherwise inter-related terms like Knotting, weaving and knitting. Although the cords and the ways of linking them by knotting techniques are the only essential elements to label a craft as Macrame artwork, the inclusion of some more objects, like stones, could take the creations to different levels of creative expressions. In Clemence’s work, perhaps I was more captivated by the stones and fossils than the threads and the knotting techniques.

DSC05096 TP1
Macrame slave bracelet with Amethyst stone

DSC05091 TP2
Wild Boar Tusk Necklace

DSC05117 TP
Moon Stone and Megalodont tooth (Fossil)

DSC05121 TP
Macrame necklace with Moon stone and fossil tooth

DSC05128 TP

DSC05099 TP
Macrame necklace with Amber and Cristal

DSC05101 TP
Macrame bracelet of Chrysocolla stone

DSC05165 Fb-001
Fluorite stones

Clemence learnt that art from Colombia while travelling and staying in South America for 3 years. There she used to craft and sell the products on streets. Over the course of her journey that art turned as her main profession and she also started selling the macrame jewellery in some markets of France. The moment I met her, she also had her online shop by the name of Tierrachakana at www.etsy.com . The influence of her time in Latin America was still visible as most of the raw material like stones and threads were from Latin American countries. While most of the stones were from Mexico, the waxed polyester cords, special for macrame jewelry, were from Brazil. However, during her time in India, she had got many of the stones from Jaipur Market.

DSC05149 Fb-002
Linhasita waxed polyester cords

DSC05179 Fb-002
The sticks which would be incorporated in upcoming work

Despite of having a great opportunity of taking my macrame experience to next level by learning some basics of that art from Clemence, my experience got stuck with just a conceptual understanding of that textile art. During my first ever visit for Pushakar valley, I was more involved in knowing the place and some of its unique cultures and so could not think towards taking any practical lessons from her. I believe that the experience which got initiated with Kapil and Clemence would go to next level and someday I would learn and be able to create some thing on my own.

DSC05087 TP
The hand and the artwork of the artist

The latest updates of Clemence’s work can be found on her facebook page Tierrachakana

She also has her online shop atΒ https://www.etsy.com/in-en/shop/tierrachakana

Advertisements

59 responses to Cords and Stones (Macrame)

• Travel Parable says:

Thank you my friend… I am back from my journey.. now going to focus on new posts and reading the blogs which I follow. I am excited to see your posts which I have missed during my time in Himalayas. πŸ™‚

1. Laurie says:

How beautiful! Traveling has given you so many beautiful experiences. It’s an inspiration to me. I haven’t done macrame since I was in high school, but it was one of my favorite art classes then. πŸ™‚

• Travel Parable says:

Dear friend Laurie. It was the first time I came to know so much about macrame. I hope I will learn someday and design something. If you remember something from your high school, try it again.. πŸ™‚ thank you for reading this post and for your words

2. Bharti says:

Interesting art. I have never heard about macrame.. the necklaces and bracelets are really beautiful .. Thanks for giving the contact of Clemence.

• Travel Parable says:

I agree.. the jewellery was really beautiful. πŸ™‚ you can see the Clemence’s macrame jewellery on her online shop and contact her.

3. Yousra ER-RAI says:

It was a very interesting article. Keep doing the hard work !

• Travel Parable says:

Thank you my friend.. and keep following travel parable for more travel updates.

4. Sudhanshu says:

Traveling is knowing.. Traveling is learning.. Beautiful artwork. Keep exploring

• Travel Parable says:

Thanks sudhanshu.. keep following and giving feedback on my work

5. Lekhraj says:

Very interesting artwork.. you are lucky to explore and experience new things.. really a happy traveller.. love

• Travel Parable says:

Thank you victoria. Thanks for reading and for comment on this post.. keep following for more πŸ™‚

6. diana says:

Oh wow, that sounds really, really interesting! I will visit her shop and look on google to find more about this art, It is something i can do for sure! Thanks for the post.

• Travel Parable says:

Thank you Diana. Thanks for your time to read this post and for your comment..

• Travel Parable says:

Thank you my friend.. I am not sure if she is in Pushkar anymore because she is also a traveler. But you may contact her by the links I shared
      πŸ™‚

7. Nelio says:

Travelling is the very best thing about getting new friends .very talented people out there we have an only chance that is travelling.

Yes my friend… Traveling is knowing 😊

8. Priya says:

Great post.. The idea of working while travelling is an idea of freedom

9. bluebrightly says:

I would have been most interested in those stones, too – they’re wonderful. Macrame became very popular in the US in the 1960’s, along with the hippie movement towards more earthy, handmade things.

• Travel Parable says:

I love such artworks because they allow to travel and work at the same time. Although, it may not be easy, but they bring some sense of freedom. I am trying to develop some new skills. Lets see where I reach. Thanks for your feedback πŸ™‚

10. Namra says:

Thanks! I feel like I learned a bunch about macrame too now☺️ Connecting with new people is also one of my favorite things about travel. So many amazing humanbeings out there!

• Travel Parable says:

I agree with your words. Travelling allows to know , understand and accept alternative ideas. Macrame was new for me as well. I was thinking how had I avoided this artwork before. Now I am thinking to learn this artwork. Thank you for reading this post.

• Travel Parable says:

It is beautiful indeed ☺️☺️ thanks for your comment

• Travel Parable says:

It was new for me too. I hope to learn this artwork in my free time. Thanks for your words. πŸ™‚ Keep following for more updates.

11. Anu says:

The title of the post made me interested to go in the details of this post. Macrame is an entirely new thing for me. It is beaybeaut indeed. Stones and cords are complementary for each other.. stones make the products really attractive. Thank you for this post

12. Asking Minds says:

The “macrame” is the word for me. You have written a blog very beautiful. Those stone macrame are really amazing and your photography skills too. πŸ™‚

• Travel Parable says:

Thanks Asking Minds. That was a nice experience. I hope to learn this art in my free time.

13. Noraly says:

I’d never heard of the word “Macrame” before, so I’m glad you’ve explained it so well to me and included all these photographs. It’s absolutely beautiful jewellery.

14. Such a beautiful and unique art form. I love when travel leads to these kinds of cultural discoveries and you meet amazing people with such special talents!

15. Maria says:

You’re such a creative artist! You’re doing it amazing! Love it all!
    Keep it up! And I hope you have lots of success πŸ™‚

16. I remember when I was in middle school, we did a kind of introduction to macrame.. but wow, this is so far off from what I see on your photos! Such a beautiful art, combined with different mediums.. thank you so much for sharing.

17. Beautiful artwork! This is the first time I hear about Macrame. As you said, traveling is especially about learning new things from people you meet during your journey.

18. Federica Provolenti says:

Meeting people and getting to know local artcrafts are two enriching way to enhance every travel experience.

19. ansh997x says:

I have seen these workshops around Pushkar and Dharamshala. Glad that you shared more information about them.

20. I love this post since it deals with one of the most inspiring aspects of travelling: Meeting new, unusual, inspiring people. It’s wonderful that you share this encounter with us and introduce us to her artwork

21. Laurence says:

Interesting, you learned a lot on stones. I wonder if they are the same with stones like crystals. Nonetheless, these are really great work of art and crafts.